Monday, April 28, 2008

Magic

Just over a month ago, I ended up having dinner with someone who spent a good few minutes telling the group about how ultramarathoners, ironpeople, etc., were crazy, and people really "shouldn't" be running/exercising/whatever like that. I don't think that I ended up effectively expressing why I understand it and why, even if I never end up running Western States or a 50 mile race, I don't think it's a crazy thing to want to do. Today I came across a quote that sums up why I love running:

"The most basic, fundamental tool of magic is the body." (Vicki Noble)
 
All things physical, but especially trail running, make me aware of my body and the wonder that it is--that ALL bodies are. Yesterday I even loved the heat for the way it made my arms feel different than running on a cool day. So many nerve endings, so many muscles, so much that has to happen to even walk, let alone run for miles up and down hills. Excuse the cheese factor, but what a magical experience. (Yeah, what a piece of work is man and all that... apologies to the big WS)

Anyway, that's it for today. Enjoy the magic that is your body, whatever that looks like for you. 

No comments: