Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Lactate Levels

Found the Contra Costa College track today. Less than 4 minutes from my house and quite nice. Well done, Richmond! 

Running some 800s and 400s today, I ended up with that ol' lactate feeling. It had been a while-- at least a couple of years, I think. It may sound really strange, but I love it. It is an absolutely visceral reminder that you are working hard. Very hard. Plus, I can walk around with my hands on my hips when I'm done with the final, hard 400, pretending I'm Mary Decker Slaney in the days of 'yore (just without the fall... or the drama afterwards). 

A woman who was walking around the track while I was living my fantasy, (but really getting ready to puke up a lung) commented, "Don't kill yourself." 

Guess I'm not a dead ringer for Ms. Decker Slaney.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Glad you didn't "run into" Zola Budd.

P.O.M. said...

"Don't kill yourself!" hA ha

I was talking about a training run and how I ran X miles. An old man piped in and said "Why on earth would you do that?"

Ultra-Phil said...

What a coincidence! I've rediscovered the 50m pool at CCC. The best swimming bargin at just $2. Lots of kids though. So, you're MaryDeckerSlaney and I'm Michael Phelps (but with inflexible ankles from years of trail running).
-pphil