Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Duct tape anyone?

Apparently I am getting old and falling apart at the seams. Due to the knee issue, I decided to run a track workout today because running fast doesn't seem to hurt. A few 400s in, I noticed my quad starting to let me know it had not done speed work in a while, so I decided not to push that. Then I went to swim, because hey-- it's good cardio and it's letting my knee heal, right? Well, your weekend warrior here hasn't done much swimming since oh, say, high school, and last week I did the masters' workout on Thursday. 3000 yards was nothing in high school-- that was ONE of the two workouts I did every day. I was feeling pretty smug last Thursday because I did the workout and felt good as well. Today I got in the pool and after about a 600, my shoulder let me know that we would NOT be doing much more than a 1200. 

The good news is that my knee feels great. Maybe this will be a time for me to work on my speed while I am waiting for the knee to heal for the long runs. That is, if I can avoid ripping my quad muscles to shreds in my enthusiasm. 

6 comments:

Anne Carlson said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one in the family not feeling up to par. You are a little young to be falling apart, though. That usually waits for 40...
xxooxx

209Mike said...

Wow, we are in the same boat on the knees. It's so funny you mentioned the other meanings for "Fire Down Below" - When I put that down on the blog I was specifically thinking that you and I would be the dirty thinkers.

Victoria said...

Um, thanks... I guess... ;-) I suppose that means my true personality is comes through my writing here. Which could be seen as a decidedly mixed blessing...

Kevin said...

Ahhh, take it easy, you'll rid yourself of the need for duct tape in no time. I am very impressed with your swimming abilities. I can swim very well, but I've never tried to swim 3,000 meters.

P.O.M. said...

I wish Duct Tape would fix everything. Would be so nice.

GB said...

I would sink if I tried to swim 300 yd let alone 3000. And I wish I had your enthusiasm for 400s! Hope that knee gets better soon.

P.S. I've decided to forego any summer or fall ultras so I can devote training for a sub 3 marathon. But I fully intend on doing Ohlone again in May. I love that race!