Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Tagged-- I'm it!

So I got tagged by a runner in Texas--Burleson, to be exact. Despite my inclination to wax poetic about the powers of the internet, and how I have made the cyber-acquaintance of people who I would otherwise never run into... I'm going to cut myself off at the pass and just complete the instructions...

I answer 5 questions about my own running here, and then at the end I tag 5 more people and post their names. I then go to their blogs and tell them they've been tagged. When they've answered the questions, they go back to this blog and tell me... 

1. How would I describe my running 10 years ago?

1998? I was running--maintenance running. I was staying in shape, but not doing much more than that. 1998 was just prior to the ski accident that resulted in knee surgery and crutches for 2 months.

2. What is your best and worst race experience?

Hmmm... best? I had a good time at Ohlone last year. I was under-trained (this is a pattern with me), but I had so many moments where I was really happy and enjoying being out and running ridiculous amounts of miles. At the Schlieper Rock Aid station, I remember telling one of the aid station people, "Hey-- it's only 5 more miles! After all this, no problem!" This year was not quite the same thing... Worst would probably be the DNF at 9 Trails last November. I've never DNF'd before-- even when I had major knee issues from under-training for the first marathon I did, I still finished--in tears, true, but I finished. 

3. Why do you run?

Oy, so many reasons! One, because I'm a little too intense to not have a major physical outlet for all that energy. Two, because it feels good. Three, because I love being outside--especially in nature (hence the trail running adoration). Four, because border collies need a lot of exercise. Five, because I started a blog and need new trails to post. Six, because eating is another one of my obsessions, and I hate eating when I'm not really hungry. Running a lot makes me really hungry. Seven, because it's my silent time during the day. Eigh, because I love working out/exercising hard/running with other people (not actually opposite #7). And more, but I think that's enough for the moment.

4. What is the best or worst piece of advice you've been given about running?

Someone posted on the RW forum recently the reminder that we are all "an experiment of one." Love this for running and for life. It's true.

5. Tell us something surprising about yourself that not many people would know.

Scotch, Cat Stevens and I are not a good combination. I also co-taught two semesters of a student-led class on female sexuality when I was at Cal.

People I'm tagging:


Well, now THEY'RE it! 

3 comments:

GB said...

I haven't forgotten that you tagged me! :)

Kevin said...

I tagged you before I realized you'd already been tagged. Sorry for being a big dope.

mindy said...

Finally got around to responding to your tag! Looking forward to reading more of your blog - yay apricots!!